2 edition of The Otago Central Railway found in the catalog.
Previous ed.: 2004.Includes bibliographical references.
|The Physical Object|
|Pagination||xvi, 68 p. :|
|Number of Pages||64|
nodata File Size: 10MB.
A worthy communicant, or, A treatise shewing the due order of receiving the sacrament of the Lords Supper
The line reached Cromwell, 236 km, in 1921. Toilets are located at convenient intervals. The Clutha Mata-Au, before the Roxburgh and Clyde dams, possessed many natural treasures in the form of extraordinary The Otago Central Railway features and rapids.
Work progressed steadily over the next few years, and on 18 December 1893, the complete line from Hokitika to Greymouth opened. This first section featured some of the longest tunnels and most challenging viaducts on the line, and was built with the help of Chinese labourers made redundant from the gold diggings.
New Zealand Rail Trails: A Guide to 42 Ghost Lines. In the days ofmembers of the and had been based in Ross, and when the line was in May 1969, diesels became the primary motive power until the arrival of the DBRs and DCs, though for a few years in the 1970s, all trains had to be operated by locomotives before the Taramakau River bridge was repaired and upgraded. Cyclists cross Manuherekia No 1 Bridge in Poolburn Gorge.
Ngapuna 70 km Closed December 1979• The section to Ranfurly opened in December 1898.
Seven routes into the Otago were surveyed and vigorously debated before work began on the victor in 1879, but it took 12 years to build just 37km 23 miles to reach Middlemarch.
The railway also served as a supply line for equipment, food and merchandise, mail and newspapers, and excursion trains ran for the Blossom Festival and at Easter. Among many other day trips are many return rides and loops, reducing the need for pre-planned transport. Stations [ ] The following stations are or were located on the Ross Branch in brackets is the distance from Greymouth :• Various steam locomotives serviced the Cromwell Station, including a 37 ton E class, a 30 ton R class, the 57 ton UB class in the 1920s and 1930s, the 78 ton A class, the 72 ton Q class in the 1940s, and the 87 ton Ab class which was used on the line from 1936.
A trust to help with fundraising and promotion was set up by the enlightened The Otago Central Railway of Conservation, which bought the line, and it was reopened in stages, with full opening of the Otago Central Rail Trail in 2000.
Tourism Department; Southwell, Cynthia, active 1997 Ref: Eph-A-TOURISM-Otago-1930s-01 Description: Guide to Dunedin, Invercargill, Queenstown and Wakatipu, with numerous photo illustrations in black and white.
The station was closed in 1976, the same year that the site for the Clyde dam was chosen. The reason is Day 1 distances are relatively long and choices of accommodation limited. Any pleasure they may have taken in the varied landscapes of river gorges and upland plateaux offering panoramic views to distant ranges must The Otago Central Railway been offset by the cold and biting winds of the Otago. Night-time running was avoided whenever possible in the early years because of the risk of rockfalls, though the danger diminished with the decline in rabbits and establishment of lineside vegetation.
Date: 1899 - 1902 From: Various artists :[Addresses presented to R. An early start up and at breakfast and on the road by 8. The Cromwell-Clyde track was removed in 1980, making way for the construction of the Clyde Dam and flooding by Lake Dunstan. With the completion of the dam in 1990, there was little other traffic for the line and the line was closed by the on 30 April 1990.
It ran from south to and opened in 1867.
The last regular steam-hauled train left Cromwell on 23 February, 1968.
William Hall-Jones, , Otago Witness 24 September 1902 , 28.